Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Power of Music....

On Sunday I gave a lesson to the Young Women on how to control our thoughts. Music came up as a huge influence. Because of the lesson, my mind is been on music and how much it influences an individual. I've realized how powerful it can be for both good or evil. Music sets the mood for everything. It controls what we think about. Often we can rationalize "bad" music by saying it is "back round noise". I've even heard some say, " I just like the beat, i don't listen to the words".

But even if we don't "hear" the words, our unconscious mind can still hear them right?? This morning as I was flipping through radio stations, I came across a song that I really like but is a bit questionable. I tried to rationalize the song because even though it talks about "Your sex is on Fire", what harm is it to me?? I can have sex!! I'm not a teenager trying to stay chaste in that area.

I listened to half of the song until I couldn't talk myself out of it anymore. Why should I have a different standard for myself than I do for our youth. Shouldn't we be striving live worthy to be their examples? Feeling guilty I switched to song and found a song I loved even more.

But to my dismay all day I have had the other song in my mind. The chorus just keeps replaying again and again !! Ugh!! I've learned my lesson. If I have questions about a song, I'm just moving on to the next one right away.

Kristen
p.s Ummm... it is on FIRE by the way! :)

1 comment:

  1. I too LOVE that song, and your confession makes me laugh:)

    Of course you are right about how because we are older we shouldn't have different rules that our children or those that are younger. I have a hard time with that a lot with TV shows. There are a few shows out there that are my guilty pleasures and that I wouldn't want my child to watch.

    Yet another thing to improve upon.....

    ReplyDelete