Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lost Boy... found!

What an afternoon I had! It all started around 1 pm when I was doing some book editing. The girls had finally fallen asleep for their afternoon nap and I myself was feeling drowsy. Unable to keep my eyes open anymore I set the alarm clock for 2pm when I would have to go get Tyler from school. I pushed my laptop to the side of the bed and snuggled under the blankets for a little catnap.

Then suddenly I awoke with a start! I glanced at the clocking thinking I had awoken before the alarm and was shocked to see that the time was 2:30!!! A whole 1/2 hour after pick up time!!! I jumped out of bed, pulled two very sleepy girls out of their cribs and hopped in the car. As I raced to the school, which takes about 8 minutes to get too, I hoped that the kids he plays with after school at the church were still there. I went to reach for my phone and realized I left it at home.

To my dismay as I got closer to the school, construction on the road had me stopped for a few minutes. Pulling up to the church I scanned the parking lot for Tyler. I saw no other kids and no other Mom's in their cars waiting for children. By now it was 2:40pm. I looked up in the trees, for sometimes Tyler waits for me there. Nothing! I drove around the parking lot twice to make sure I wasn't missing him and then as my panic began to heighten I decided maybe one of the other mom's took him home and i had just missed him. Plus, I wanted to grab my phone.

I raced back home, no Tyler, ran inside grabbed my phone (which was on a very low battery and about to die,) and raced back to the school while calling the mom's I knew. By the time I had talked to the second mom (who didn't know where Tyler was ) I was in full panic mode! I couldn't imagine what happened to him, and I couldn't believe I had over slept and left him a lone for so long. If someone had taken him, what was i going to do??? How would I even find him?? Could this really be happening to me?? All these questions and more raced through my mind.

Finally a friend told me to go check the front office that he might be there. I doubted it, because we had never discussed where to go if I didn't come and i didn't know if he would think to go back to the school but I parked the car and ran into the office anyways.

The moment i opened the door I was met by the Principle who immediately pointed to my precious Tyler sitting on a chair reading his latest Library Book selection. Within seconds of seeing him relief washed over me and I started to sob. I explained what happened to the Principal and she said that a mother who was at the church had instructed Tyler to come to the office. Through my cries I thanked the Principal (who gave me a much needed hug) and held Tyler's hand as we walked back to the car.

Moral of the story.... don't take naps before pick up time, if you do MAKE sure the alarm works, always have a back of plan for your kids if something should happen and NEVER leave home without your cell phone!!!

Kristen

1 comment:

  1. KRISTEN MARIE!!! OH MY GOSH...I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE WHAT YOU WERE FEELING!! I'M SO SORRY! NO NAPS FOR YOU LADY! WOW... THAT'S A LOT FOR ME TO TAKE IN RIGHT NOW. GLAD YOU FOUND "TYLER"!

    ReplyDelete