Saturday, September 19, 2009

Adventure to Obama's House....

Today we walked around Chicago shopping and hanging in some very beautiful parks. The day was very relaxing, that is until Aaron decided that he wanted to go so Obama's house. I wasn't that thrilled on it, since I'm not a huge fan and i could really careless about where he used to live.

But as a group we all decided that we didn't have anything better we wanted to do so we hopped on the subway and jetted out of the city. I knew we were in trouble when our surrounding started looking...well....really run down! I verified with Aaron that the area we were going to was nice and he said " Of course. Obama's house is over a million dollars. Do you think he is going to live in the projects?" I had to admit he had a good point, but somewhere from the back of my mind I vaguely remembered hearing that one of the reason's Obama was so loved was because he came back to the place he grew up and wanted to "build" it back up.

Needless to say once we made our stop and exited the train. I knew we were in trouble. this was not the place four white, OC housewives and husbands with a child, should be. Right away I told Aaron that i was not walking down the street. I was going to catch the next train back. He however, kept on pushing me to go. We got into a small elevator to go down a level but failed to get it to work. Of course the doors closed but the elevator didn't move. After two times of having the doors close behind me and feeling "stuck", I jump out and said " I'll take the stairs, thank you!

Everyone followed but Jen and I never left the station! Once I got down to the main street level, I knew there was NO way I was walking out onto the street. Aaron was very upset but i didn't care. I asked the security guard how long it would take for us to walk to Obama's house and he said it was fifteen blocks. NOPE I was not going to do that! Three of us turned around and caught the train back while Aaron forged on ahead.

I called him every few minutes to make sure he hadn't been jumped! He made it fine, but was not able to actually see the house. The cops had the streets blocked off! As we waited for his return, we grabbed some lunch. With each bite I took of my "Chicago" pizza I was sooooo thankful I had not gone to the house.

There are just certain places I should not be and Harlem and Wabash is one of those places!!

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment