Monday, August 1, 2011

How does media affect/effect you??

Dear Reader,

Today I started thinking about how watching different shows can affect how i think of my life. For example, yesterday I came across the show "keeping Up With the Kardashins" ( spelling?). After watching the show i noticed that i had this urge to "spend money", like getting my nails done, new clothes, etc. I didn't like the feeling. Then this morning as i lay in bed, (sick) i came upon a show called "Downsized". It's about a family who used to have a great income and was living the so called "American" dream. However, two years ago the husband lost his construction company and they were struggling to support seven kids. His wife was trying to start a new cleaning business. She spoke about how embarrassing it was to go from having a house cleaner two times a week to cleaning her friends homes.

The family showed how they were trying to cut all the extras things like, eating out, cable, sports clubs for kids, etc. They spoke about how this really helped them see the important things in life. How their kids were learning how to budget and how to work hard to earn money. The kids were also giving money to the parents to help out with things.

After watching this show, I had a much different feeling than after the first. This time, i felt so blessed that my husbands income is pretty steady, that we are able to afford sport clubs for our kids, that even though i coupon for groceries I do it for fun...for the challenge, not because i have too. It made me want to budget even more! To look for more ways to save! Aaron and I always talk about how we don't know what the future will bring...we are very aware that at any moment life could turn upside down.

I walked away from the show with so much gratitude! It was weird to realize how media affected me so much. It has taught me a very important lesson.. First no more freaking Kardashins...and be careful what i watch because the very thing on T.V can change how i feel about myself and my life.

How does Media affect you?

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment